Be aware of the harmful effects of the different types of plastics
Plastic is made of synthetic or semi-synthetic organic materials which can be molded in any shape and size. One of its general properties is its plasticity which refers to the ability to deform without breaking.
Know the different types of plastics and their effects
Plastics play a very important role in our lives but these different types of plastics may have number of negative impacts on environment and public health.
Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET)
This type of plastic generally tends to absorb the odor of the food or other item that is stored in it. Plastic products which are made of PET are generally recycled. This type of plastic is used to make a lot of things that we use in our daily lives such as beverage bottles, rope, jars, clothes and carpet fiber. PET has high resistance capacity and generally is solvent resistant. PET is well-known for spreading the poisonous antimony. According to a survey the antimony present in a water bottle is 100 times more than it is present in the groundwater level. People who have been exposed to antimony for a longer period of time have showed signs of respiratory distress and skin diseases. Phthalate is another harmful side effect of the much used PET. Though a lot of people consider using this type of plastic but it is not at all recommended after seeing several surveys results that have been conducted in various parts.
High Density Polyethylene (HDPE)
We know all very well that most of the products that we use in our daily lives are made of high density polyethylene. HDPE finds its use in almost everywhere. It is versatile and very easy to make. HDPE has long chains of polymer which makes it extremely dense and crystalline. It is generally considered food safe plastic and used in food and beverage packaging. Unlike the other type of plastics HDPE can be easily recycled. It is much more resistance to moisture and its toughness and stiffness is better than the other types of plastics.
Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC)
Although PVC is considered to be one of the most harmful types of plastic, it is used all over the world. In fact its demand among the people has made the plastic the 2nd most used type of plastic in the world. The use of PVC has gradually been decreased over the past few years because of the health effects and the environmental hazards it creates. Surprisingly, the whole life cycle of this type of plastic is considered to be toxic and harmful for the environment as well as the public. Dioxins are formed when PVC is burnt. Dioxins are human carcinogens and are one of the harmful chemical substances that have been tested. PVC is very easy to manufacture and can be used nearly everywhere, from making pipes to toys.
Low Density Polyethylene (LDPE)
Low density polyethylene (LDPE) is the widely used plastic in the world and because it consists of the simplest form of CH2-LDPE this type of plastic is also every easy to manufacture. Like HDPE it is also considered to be a safer plastic for storing food and beverages. LDPE is very difficult to recycle and has shown signs of releasing nonylphenol when exposed to sunlight.
These types of plastics find its use in many applications as that of LDPE and HDPE. It is much more heat resistant compare to the others. The crystallinty of the substance is relatively high. Like HDPE and LDPE it has a very specific chemical composition making it easy for the manufacturers to produce these types of plastics in the factory. Different food and medicine containers are made from this type of plastics.
Styrofoam-the name which is commonly associated with this type of plastic is very cost effective in nature. Benzene is a commonly known human carcinogen which is required for the PS synthesize. It results in formation of a monomer known as styrene which is also very carcinogenic in nature and has the capability to affect our brain and nervous system. It is very difficult to recycle this type of plastic and is often recommended not to produce it. It is also widely used in making disposable coffee cups and plastic food boxes.
There are seven groups of plastics. Each plastic is categorized on the basis of their properties and are basically used for many applications. All above mentioned plastics come under different groups. The most famous type of plastic which falls under the group seven is Polycarbonate which is highly toxic in nature. It is recommended, one should avoid the use of this type of plastic as it releases bisphenol-A which can cause many health related diseases along with the disruption of the nervous system.
Types of plastics that can be recycled
Although no all types of plastics can be recycled, still they can be reused. But the point of recycling plastic is to lessen the amount of hazardous effect that the plastic is having on the environment. Different types of plastic that can be recycled are:
- PET plastic is recyclable and around 25% of PET containers in the world are reused. The plastic is pounded and after that destroyed into little pieces which are then reprocessed to make new PET containers, or spun into polyester fiber. This reused fiber is utilized to make materials that include downy pieces of clothing, rugs, stuffing for pads and life coats, and comparable items.
- HDPE plastic is hard-wearing and does not break out when it is exposed to sunlight or various other weather elements. Thus, HDPE is utilized to make outdoor tables, plastic wood, squander canisters, and stop seats, bed liners for trucks and different items which require solidness and climate protection.
- Number 7 plastics are utilized to make child bottles, containers, water cooler jugs and auto parts. BPA is found in polycarbonate plastic food compartments frequently set apart on the base with the letters “PC” by the reusing name #7. Some polycarbonate water bottles are showcased as ‘non-filtering’ for limiting plastic taste or scent, however there is as yet a plausibility that follows measures of BPA will relocate from these holders, especially if used to warm fluids.
Recycling Solutions of plastics
Plastic recycling is the most important process that everyone should indulge themselves in for creating a better environment. There can be many plastic recycling solutions but one needs to follow them thoroughly and should also spread awareness about them and not just read them.
Recycling of Plastic in a community
- If your community is not having a recycle program arrange for it. Numerous urban areas and towns now have reusing drop-off focuses or even curbside municipal reusing gathering.
- Order recyclables bin to pick up the items.
- Sometimes, similar to junk collection, this will charge a one-time or yearly fee; however it makes recycling easier making the cost invested worthwhile, despite all the troubles.
- If you live in a flat, you may have building reusing containers.
- You can either throw them in a bin or leave it for a service providing drop-off points. In zones that do not have curbside pickup, there are regularly huge reusing dumpsters around town, normally at open spots like schools, places of worship or metropolitan structures.
- Take your plastics to a nearby reusing point. Contact them through the web or call your nearby authorities to discover the focuses in your general vicinity. In the event that an inside acknowledges plastics, you can essentially continually deliver your recycle item specifically to them.
- Know what your office can deal with. Some recycling organizations will do the arranging and cleaning for you, so you can simply dump jars, plastics and papers all together. With others you should isolate different materials and possibly expel paper marks.
Plastic recycle at home
- Get various reusing crates for your home. Place them close to your trash containers, so you will not be enticed to simply junk recyclables out of sluggishness.
- If need to sort your recyclables, you can spare time by getting various or separated receptacles so you can sort as you discard everything.
- Sort your recyclables by type. On the off chance that your office requires it, isolate paper and cardboard, plastics, glass, and jars. This can be irritating, yet like any family unit errand it gets less demanding in the event that you make a week after week tendency for it.
- Sort your plastics by number. Numerous recycling programs will never require this in future, however you may need to isolate out the seven distinct classifications of recyclable plastics.
- If your recycle point is not in your vicinity, you can continue collecting trash and visit the point once it is full maybe after a week or month.
Initiate the recycling process to spread the awareness among people to use less amount of plastic for a better and safer environment.